Longford Town, sprung up along the banks of the river Camlin. Its strategic midland location saw it develop as a gateway to the north-west and the northern half of Connaught. Furthermore, this important location was recognized as early as the 1700’s when the British authorities sited both a cavalry and artillery barracks in the town. The present Great Water Street was the main centre of commerce and industry for much of the last century. A great place to live, to shop and to do business.